Valley Vee Dubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

beetle trouble

5 posters

Go down

beetle trouble Empty beetle trouble

Post  Dubpete Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:24 am

As some of you may know the beetle broke down few weeks ago and since then it won't idle once warm. Stu told me to try changing air filter for the paper type with the tube for hot air. I have done that and has not made a difference. And the old air filter was full of oil which doesn't sound good to me.

Anyone got any idea on what's causing this

THanks again guys Smile
Dubpete
Dubpete

Back to top Go down

beetle trouble Empty Re: beetle trouble

Post  Rob Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:27 am

Hi Pete

I assume the old filter was metal? If so it should be full of oil, if its dirty you may need to change it, these type of filters are far better than the paper type, personally i would re-fit it and make sure all the hoses are in place.

It sounds like you may have a carb problem, if it idles when cold but not when its hot you might hav3e a blockage in the idle circuit (the throttle is held open slightly by the choke when cold so it might be idling using the main curcuit) .

I would try removing the idle jet and blowing it out with compressed air (dont stick anything down it). From memory its on the right hand side of the carb.
Rob
Rob

Back to top Go down

Post  Dubpete Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:37 am

I thought it would be carb problems. Il try finding jet and clean it. Yea old metal type yea just realised it has oil in it.
Thanks rob
Dubpete
Dubpete

Back to top Go down

Post  ben Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:11 pm

I would definately agree with Rob on this... use the old air filter dude, just clean it up and put fresh oil in. My old beetle had a pancake filter on it, i took that off and put an original on and it ran beautifully.
If cleaning out the Idle jet does not work, you may need to do a bit of tuning... it might be that the carb is not set up right, and even the timing might be out. If you need any help just give us a shout, i have a timing gun etc etc...
good luck dude!
ben
ben

Back to top Go down

beetle trouble Empty carb trouble

Post  bigal Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:27 am

If the carb is quite old they suffer with the throttle spindle wearing on the bush and this lets air into the carb. The idle would fluctuate up and down and the fuel mixture cannot be set. First I would clean the mixture and idle ways and make sure that there is no blockages. After that I would try to reset both idle and mixture settings.If this does not work then the only real cure is to replace the carb complete.Replacing the carb would give you correct settings and fuel consumption hopefully would be better as well.Buy new only!!!1

bigal

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:38 am

I'm not so sure about new stock carbs as they've not got a good reputation due to being not much more than cheap copies. I've never used one myself so dont have first hand experience.

It is possible to buy replacement bushes for stock original carbs, although i doubt there particularly easy to change.

Rob
Rob

Back to top Go down

Post  till Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:15 am

Rob wrote:I'm not so sure about new stock carbs as they've not got a good reputation due to being not much more than cheap copies. I've never used one myself so dont have first hand experience.

It is possible to buy replacement bushes for stock original carbs, although i doubt there particularly easy to change.

I've replace the bushes on the square carbs, it's not hard as long as the butterfly screws undo easily.They're about a tenner on ebay,
cheaper than a new carb Wink
till
till

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum