Mine and Sams VW's

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Mine and Sams VW's

Post  paul_f on Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:02 am

Bump stops don't matter but tyre marks on the wheel arch do matter.

Although i have no idea why you had to cut them off to raise the suspension??

paul_f

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben on Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:12 am

Ahhhhhhh okey dokey... I'm going to be stripping and re painting the wheel arches soon...
Well, are you sitting comfortably?
Firstly, jacked the van up, undid the lock bolts on the adjusters, and nothing moved... I would have thought the weight of the wheels etc would have pulled it down, but no.
We did however end up thinking the shocks were stopping it from dropping so we undid them... No movement.
So we jumped up and down on the wheels, still no movement but the the top torsion arm was hitting the metal of the bump stop. There needed to be more travel to get the leaves to actually rotate, the only way we could see this happening was to chop the bump stops off.
After doing this, we jumped up and down on the wheels, and success, there was enough travel to move the leaves round...
What a palava.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  laurietcr on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:23 am

mmmmmmmmmmm i like pavlova
laurietcr
Admin

View user profile http://valleyveedubbers.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  ben on Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:54 am

right then... took a nice picture the other day on the way to pick up some engine goodies, so thought i would post it...

i will post some pictures of the engine goodies when i take some.
cheers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:47 pm

As most know, we started stripping the filler in the front panel a while ago (as it had started to crack and was bugging me).
I knew it wasnt going to be good but, it really wasnt good. Didnt take many good photos, so here is a couple to get the idea -

But the good news is we picked up the 'new' panel from just outside Wales at the weekend. Fitted in just...

Now, just to work out the best way of replacing it... not going to do it for a while though as we still need to use the bus, and as i am going to try and do it myself (with a little help from my friends), i can imagine its going to be a long job...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:27 pm

ben wrote:
Now, just to work out the best way of replacing it... not going to do it for a while though as we still need to use the bus, and as i am going to try and do it myself (with a little help from my friends), i can imagine its going to be a long job...

Should be fun Very Happy
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben on Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:47 pm

As it has been a while since any updates (from anybody) regarding our rides.... i thought i might try and get the ball rolling...
Now i know a lot of you have made some changes to your vehicles but it hasnt happened until we see photos (Laurie especially).
Some of you have even got new vehicles (Robbo especially)... we need pictures.

Anyway, this is a photo from the trip to Scotland last Christmas in the split -

here is one from the trip around Cornwall in the summer -

here is one of the front end, its now a little rusty, and Rosie (on the right) has had a rub down and laquer -

Here is a blurry one from the woods -

Last but no means least, took the oval out of hibernation the other day and took her for a spin.... cant wait to get her on the road but im just too damn busy at the moment! -

cheers!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben on Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:55 pm

Right then, i suppose i better introduce the new purchase...

A few of us have been talking Syncros and for some reason i decided to bite the bullet and buy one off ebay. I have never bought a car without seeing it in the metal and to be honest i probably wont do it again! ha!

Its a 1990 T25 Caravelle Syncro. 1.6TD engine (that runs like a dog at the moment).
Its pretty solid underneath, cant see any work needed there... bodywork is a bit iffy and may need a few patches but then hey when have i ever cared if something is a bit beat up.

Its painted in a pretty horrific bright green, that is actually growing on both Sam and I but will probably change in the near future.

Anyway pics -

As you can see its from some dodgy Latvian... and is left hand drive, but again that does not bother me having driven a left hand drive panel van for a good few years.

Its curently being stored in Cornwall until i get it registered and try and drive it home (although apparently the front diff makes a noise, so may be getting towed home!)

Now some of you are probably thinking - jesus, they have a lot of cars, and yes we do, but i will be selling my first beetle soon, its round in the garage and is going to be MOT worthy in a short period of time (hopefully). The late Bay project will also be going soon, once we have a bit of nice weather and i can take some pictures.
cheers
Ben and Sam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:14 pm

Lets go offroading !!!

Shame my mate sold his jacked up disco :-(

Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Right then... The syncro is home. Finally. Turns out after making her 2 wheel drive by removing prop shaft and drive shafts (but putting the outer CV joints back in) that it wasn't the diff making the noise. It was the wheel bearings. So frustrating but good in that the front diff should be useable.
Had a nightmare with the recovery home though. Long boring story but basically they couldn't bring us back on the day, got towed to depot, got proper horrid courtesy car, that broke, got towed back to depot, new less horid courtesy car, home way later than hoped.
Still at least she is home!
Whoop whoop!

Got my self some new front bearings, and inner and outer CV joints as they were all a bit worn (one bearing was completely shot to pieces).
Everything is covered in rust (understandably), so while i had the front hub assembly off it seemed worth giving it a clean and paint, ready to get it covered in mud.

The brake backing plates are in great original condition... or not. I plan on making my own from stainless though, if i ever get time.

on their way to being rust free -

clean, painted and with new bearings -

Nice new shiny CV joints on and ready for installation -

After getting it all back together, took her for a quick spin (the engine is still leaking oil from every orifice so is still pretty unuseable, next job is to replace the engine and re-build this one to keep as a spare... bloody volkswagens). One happy chappie... i have never been able to 'smile for the camera'.

cheers!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben on Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:49 pm

I cant believe i havn't updated this for a while...
The bright green syncro has now gone as we found a right had drive high top with twin difflocks. yay!
Here it is -

This is what i would like it to look like, but that might change -

the grey beetle has gone... it was my first beetle and was actually pretty easy to see it go. I hadn't used it in a long time and the kid that bought it was super happy and was going to slam it on the floor which i was obviously more than happy to see. I will hopefully see it at some local shows this year.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben on Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:40 am

Well, a lot has happened to the syncro since i last updated.
I cant remember it all.
The main things are -

Swapped over fuel pump and re built it before install.
Swapped over fuel injectors.
Changed engine belts.
Sorted timing.
Gearbox broke, stripped it down a bit, it was proper broke. (but will be fixed in the future).
Purchased another gearbox. Fitted it.
Replaced ARB bushes.
Replaced Radius Rod bushes.
Lifted the suspension by about 50mm using different springs
Fitted new longer shocks in the rear.
Fitted shock extenders and ball joint spacers up front.
Fixed rear difflock (front still to do).
Grant did a considerable amount of welding to the bodywork (and a great job he did)
Gave the outside a bit of a tidy up and roller paint job.

Ready for the road (i hope)!
Cheers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben on Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:46 am

oooooooooo i forgot... i fitted truck mirrors...

This is how it looks now -

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  VdubHarry on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:49 pm

The truck mirrors look sweet man!!!!
VdubHarry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content