King and Link Pin front beam

View previous topic View next topic Go down

King and Link Pin front beam

Post  George&Charlie on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:43 pm

Hi guys, I'm after a bit of advice.

I'm getting mighty close to having the '58 on the road now but I'm after a little bit of advice regarding the King and link pins.
I have changed the grease in the front beam and the king and link pins, the drivers side wheel turns nice and easy now, but the passenger side seems to be ridiculously stiff. I assume that the grease hasn't got to where it needs to? I did clean them up a bit to remove all the old crud from them but I probably could have tried a little harder to get them spotless.

Can anyone offer me any advice as to how to solve this? I'm know very little about king and link pins so I am reluctant to strip them down particularly as I don't know anything about how they are adjusted etc.

Cheers guys.
George&Charlie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: King and Link Pin front beam

Post  Rob on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:21 am

I've never owned a K & L car myself so not that fimimilar either but have worked on a few sets before.

I know that it is not unknown for them to completely seize up and i know of a couple of barn finds where this was the case so it might mean you have to take it apart.

if they are a stiff as you say then it will be a mot fail although you don't actually need one anymore scratch

The link pins are adjustable (and need adjusting regularly) but it sounds like your issue is with the king pins which are quite and involved job and need special tools (reamer etc). I assume it is the steering which is tight not revolving the wheel?
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:29 am

A quick google found this

http://www.historicvws.abelgratis.com/technical/king_pin/king_pins.htm

Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  George&Charlie on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:38 am

Hi Rob, thanks for the advice.

Yeah, I assumed it was king ping related as its the steering that's the issue and there doesn't appear to be any play anywhere at all. I'll try and give them a better clean up and I then try covering the king pin in as much releasing fluid as I can to see if I can loosen it that way. If all else fails it looks like I'll have to get them rebuilt then. Doh!!! so close, yet so far Sad

Cheers for that link too Rob, that'll be really useful.

Cheers

George&Charlie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:58 am

It doesnt sound like they need rebuilding from a ware point of view. Unfortunately i don't think it is possible to take a out the king pin without pressing out the link pin bushes (which would destroy them). As you say you need to try a free up without having to take them apart. Maybe thread on pre67.com would produce some answers.
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  George&Charlie on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:13 am

Fingers crossed I can get it sorted. I'm hoping I've just got some brake cleaner in there from when I was cleaning up the brake parts and the front beam. I know there are the two grease nipples on the carriers which I thought we primarily used for lubricating the link pins. Will the grease be able to make it's way between the king pin and it's bushes using those nipples? Is that how they are lubricated when assembled originally?

thanks again

George&Charlie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul_f on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:12 pm

If it doesn't free it up I can press it open, clean it up and press back together for £10.
If it needs a new king pin I can do that and ream the bushes to the correct size for another £10 - I think Coolair charge about £25 for a single side kingpin.

The link pin bushes won't be damaged pressing them out, that link suggests hammering them out which will damage them.

paul_f

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  George&Charlie on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:24 pm

paul_f wrote:If it doesn't free it up I can press it open, clean it up and press back together for £10.
If it needs a new king pin I can do that and ream the bushes to the correct size for another £10 - I think Coolair charge about £25 for a single side kingpin.

The link pin bushes won't be damaged pressing them out, that link suggests hammering them out which will damage them.

Hi Paul, that's brilliant. I should get a chance to take a look properly at some point this week and I'll be in contact if it's still a problem.

Thanks again
George&Charlie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top