Valley Vee Dubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New engine

2 posters

Go down

New engine Empty New engine

Post  Dylan79 Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:02 am

Hi guys, I'm looking for a new engine and have found 2 company's fairly local, The VW Engine Company in Deptford SE London and The Engine Shop in Erith. Has anyone used these before? Had any experience with them? Please inbox me. Thanks guys

Dylan79

Back to top Go down

New engine Empty Re: New engine

Post  ben Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:56 pm

Hey there,
Sorry i have had no experience with either companies... Im pretty sure a couple of people have though.
Whats wrong with your existing engine?
thanks
ben
ben

Back to top Go down

Post  Dylan79 Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:10 am

Hi Ben,

There is a crack in the crank case. I think engine replacement is going to be answer, I'm not sure what costs would be if it could be replaced, I'm comparing recon engine cost with labour costs. What are your thoughts? Thanks

Dylan79

Back to top Go down

Post  ben Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:18 am

Well, that was going to be my next question - have you ever built up your own engine or ever thought you would like to?
If you are factoring in labour costs then im guessing you dont want/have time to do it yourself (I dont blame you).
If it were me, i would try and get a decent second hand motor that has been pulled because the owner has 'gone for more power' or similar.
A decent 1600 Twin Port Engine is hard to come by these days but they do come up and can often be seen running...
Or is yours a Type 4 lump?

I know that Vinnie from the club has bought a brand new engine from VW but obviously that was not cheap!
Im sure you can still get re-con units for about a grand, but i have no idea how much it would be to replace your case and re-build using your components... depends how worn the components are too...

Where is the crack? near the oil cooler?
cheers
ben
ben

Back to top Go down

Post  Dylan79 Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:51 am

I would love to have the time to do some engine work
myself but I would rather a less time consuming process. That is way I've been looking at a reconditioned unit. The engine i understand to be a CT engine 1600 air cooled. Your spot on I can get a recon engine from £1000 but they do go up to £2800. The crack is at the top and is near the oil cooler. I have been told if I want to upgrade to a 2ltr I will need to change just about everything including the gear box which I guess could get very pricy.

Thanks

Dylan79

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down