Valley Vee Dubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ball joints and tracking

4 posters

Go down

ball joints and tracking Empty ball joints and tracking

Post  George&Charlie Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:45 am

One of the MOT advisories we had last year was play in the ball joints, while fitting dropped spindles to the bug today, I had a good look at the ball joints and they appear to be fooked!! along with the track rod ends.

Can anyone recommend someone that I can take the car to and have the ball joints and track rod ends replaced, and then a complete front end alignment? I assume I can drive it a short distance without adjusting the tracking myself?

We need to get this done this week really because of the volksworld show on Saturday.

Cheers guys
George&Charlie
George&Charlie

Back to top Go down

ball joints and tracking Empty Re: ball joints and tracking

Post  ben Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:57 am

oooooh that sucks dude...
is it just the rubbers have perished or are the ball joints them selves knackered? ie can you move them in an up and down motion?
I cant think of anywhere to take them but most garages will be able to press the new ball joints into the arm. I would definately recommend getting the parts though. There is a GSF in Sittingbourne now and they do bug ball joints, pretty good quality and a good price.
oooooor - im sure mike bought some ball joints from cool air and they pressed them in for him for a fee (dont know how much though).
The track rod ends might be ok, and just need the rubbers replacing, might be worth just doing that then you dont have to worry about moving the tracking out. although i just remembered you said you have fitted dropped spindles (cant remember if that effects the tracking too much, putting in adjusters will definately effect it).
I have driven a couple of bug and the tracking was way out, its not too bad, unless you hit a pot hole. Again loads of places do tracking. STS Tyre Pros on the A2 is probably the closest to you (although i hate them, but thats because they hate me for taking in slammed vehicles). We ended up doing the tracking on rosie ourselves as nobody around here had the appropriate equipment. They needed to have sensors on all 4 wheels to align them and could not get the laser thing under the rear arch because she was 'too low'. i think they were all 'too gay' myself.

Are you going to have time to get your hands dirty or do you just want to chuck it at a garage?

cheers
ben
ben

Back to top Go down

Post  George&Charlie Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:11 am

ben wrote:oooooh that sucks dude...
is it just the rubbers have perished or are the ball joints them selves knackered? ie can you move them in an up and down motion?
I cant think of anywhere to take them but most garages will be able to press the new ball joints into the arm. I would definately recommend getting the parts though. There is a GSF in Sittingbourne now and they do bug ball joints, pretty good quality and a good price.
oooooor - im sure mike bought some ball joints from cool air and they pressed them in for him for a fee (dont know how much though).
The track rod ends might be ok, and just need the rubbers replacing, might be worth just doing that then you dont have to worry about moving the tracking out. although i just remembered you said you have fitted dropped spindles (cant remember if that effects the tracking too much, putting in adjusters will definately effect it).
I have driven a couple of bug and the tracking was way out, its not too bad, unless you hit a pot hole. Again loads of places do tracking. STS Tyre Pros on the A2 is probably the closest to you (although i hate them, but thats because they hate me for taking in slammed vehicles). We ended up doing the tracking on rosie ourselves as nobody around here had the appropriate equipment. They needed to have sensors on all 4 wheels to align them and could not get the laser thing under the rear arch because she was 'too low'. i think they were all 'too gay' myself.

Are you going to have time to get your hands dirty or do you just want to chuck it at a garage?

cheers

Nice one Ben, the tracking's way out now but from what I've read it's as expected when fitting dropped spindles. The ball joints themselves didn't seem too bad, the rubbers are knackered though. We should really replace the ball joints because it was an MOT advisory last time and it's been nearly a year since then, lol.

We figured we might as well do them while we're mucking about with the spindles. We may have the same issue getting someone to do the tracking now then, it is a lot lower than it was!!!

I'll try and get to gsf early this week and get some new ball joints then. How hard was the tracking to do by yourself, did you use the old string and ruler method?

Cheers

George&Charlie
George&Charlie

Back to top Go down

Post  ben Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:38 am

cool man... might be worth a post on here as i know a couple of people have got presses and wont mind pressing in the ball joints for you for a couple of quid or a friendly hug...
Yeh man, we just did a rough play around and it worked, a lot of it was by eye if im honest!
ben
ben

Back to top Go down

Post  George&Charlie Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:58 am

Cool cool, I think I'll probably just hold fire on the ball joints for a week until after volksworld just to save rushing around this week.

I'll have a play around with the tracking over the next few days then and get it a lot closer to where it's supposed to be. At least that way we'll be able to make it to volksworld. I think if we drove it at the moment, we'd just go round in a fookin circle!!! Smile

Thanks again mate
George&Charlie
George&Charlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:46 am

Last time i tracked my car i did it myself was string and measured to the wheel rims. You need about 3mm toe in across the car (so 1.5mm per wheel) measured at the wheel rims, if you've got tyres with tread which goes completely round the wheel without changing position then measure off that.

You'll need to free off both ends of the track rods to adjust it properly.
Rob
Rob

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:51 am

George&Charlie wrote:Cool cool, I think I'll probably just hold fire on the ball joints for a week until after volksworld just to save rushing around this week.

I'll have a play around with the tracking over the next few days then and get it a lot closer to where it's supposed to be. At least that way we'll be able to make it to volksworld. I think if we drove it at the moment, we'd just go round in a fookin circle!!! Smile

Thanks again mate

You should be able to get it driveable by eye.
Rob
Rob

Back to top Go down

Post  paul_f Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:04 pm

I can press the balljoints in and out for a small fee Smile

To get it driveable I always just a tape measure front and back of the tyre in one of the grooves that goes all around the tyre

paul_f

Back to top Go down

Post  George&Charlie Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:34 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, that's really useful. I'll hopefuly get it sorted tonight Smile

Thanks for offering to do the ball joints too Paul, that will be most appreciated. Once we get back from volksworld, I'll get the new ball joints and get the trailing arms off ready.

Thanks again
George&Charlie
George&Charlie

Back to top Go down

Post  ben Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:29 am

Machine 7 have a deal on ball joints at the moment in their 'bundle' section...
ben
ben

Back to top Go down

Post  George&Charlie Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:32 pm

good spot ben, cheers Smile
George&Charlie
George&Charlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content